Women scientists in fiction

Karen Wheless wheless at sunchem.uucp
Sun Jan 8 01:12:04 EST 1995

There have been a few female scientists in romance novels, and in every
case that I have read, they are portrayed quite positively (although
science isn't usually discussed much!).  One that I remember distinctly
involved a geneticist who "time-traveled" back to the Old West.  Although
she obviously couldn't practice science there, she did have a unique
approach to her experience.  Instead of being enraptured by the romance
of it all, she missed her microwave, tampons and other modern
conveniences - a rather scientific approach, I thought at the time.