equal pay

Susan Koester Koester at sc2.salk.edu
Fri Jan 27 22:12:19 EST 1995

In article <199501262256.OAA11474 at netcomsv.netcom.com> Donna Munoz
O'Regan, dmoregan at genpharm.com writes:
> From time to time, there are articles written about how women are paid
less than
> our male counterparts and that this occurs in every field.  Now, my
question
> isn't whether this occurs or doesn't occur wherever you may be, but how
do you
> address it if you are in the market?  I'm not looking now, it's just
something
> some of my friends were discussing and I'm not proposing this question
as a
> means to start a big flame session, but rather a constructive
discussion of what
> we can do to prevent it from happening to us whenever we might be
looking for a
> job next.

I heard an interesting story along these lines: A woman faculty member at
an institute near mine apparently was called into the office of her dept.
chair (a man) who told her that she and the other women in the dept.
weren't negotiating hard enough for higher salaries and thus, on average,
the men in her dept were being paid more.  Interesting strategy, that, to
blame the women, but I'm sure there's a lesson in it for us as well.