equal pay

Judy biojas at lure.latrobe.edu.au
Mon Jan 30 00:22:17 EST 1995

In article <199501262256.OAA11474 at netcomsv.netcom.com>, dmoregan at genpharm.com ("Donna Munoz O'Regan") says:
>                                                      Iguana Mail
>                                                equal pay
>From time to time, there are articles written about how women are paid less than
>our male counterparts and that this occurs in every field.  Now, my question
>isn't whether this occurs or doesn't occur wherever you may be, but how do you
>address it if you are in the market?  I'm not looking now, it's just something
>some of my friends were discussing and I'm not proposing this question as a
>means to start a big flame session, but rather a constructive discussion of what
>we can do to prevent it from happening to us whenever we might be looking for a
>job next.
>email:  dmoregan at genpharm.com
>**the above opinions are mine alone, and my company has their own too.
	It has been my experience that it is impossible to separate pay issues
from questions of general equity, acceptance, respect and an aknowledgement
of womens contributions to whatever field / company / university they happen
to be in.  If you can gain respect you will have overcome the biggest
hurdle and will be able to better put your case for a pay rise. I have
found, to my dismay, that respect is the hardest thing to get from a man.
Best of luck.

Rosalie Cull