industry vs academia

Susan Chacko susan at pablo.niddk.nih.gov
Thu Jul 6 09:37:47 EST 1995

In article <3srrac$c3c at newsbf02.news.aol.com>, drmarts at aol.com (Drmarts) writes:
|> After grad school and one postdoc I changed careers to research
|> administration. It is true that those who stick to the bench research path
|> seem to regard those who go on to other career paths that are essential to
|> research but aren't "hands-on" as, to be blunt, failures. I regard it as
|> simply changing my mind about what field I choose to succeed in. I was a
|> mediocre bench scientist. I am a superb grants administrator (modesty
|> doesn't get you salary increases!).  And I really love what I do.
|>
|> Mara - if you're interested in hearing more about what I do, give me a
|> call at 301-948-3244.
|>

|> Sherry Marts
|> American Health Assistance Foundation

I was also interested in talking to Sherry, and I sent her mail.
She said she had received mail from two more people in the DC
area, and suggested meeting somewhere so we could talk face-to-face.

Sherry and I are planning to meet on Monday the 17th of July,
at 6.30 pm, at the La Madeleine Cafe on Rockville Pike.
The cafe is in the Mid-Pike Plaza, 11858 Rockville Pike,
and its phone number is (301) 984-8449. Please send me mail
if you are interested in coming. If you can't make it that
day or time, we might be able to adjust it.

Sherry, thanks for taking the time to talk to us.

Susan.