science fairs

Sharon Lefebvre slefebvr at umabnet.ab.umd.edu
Thu Jul 13 09:55:56 EST 1995

Hello.  I'm new to this group so I'll take a moment to introduce myself.
I'm a third year PhD student in Molecular and Cellular Biology at the
University of Maryland.  I participated in science fairs and my
experience was a very positive one.  I come from a family with no science
background at all, so I never received any help with my projects.
However, in my case, I think it was usually clear to the judges which
students had done the work and really understood what they had done.  I
think it is still possible for kids working alone to compete against, and
even win against kids with slicker projects who received alot of help
(I'm a good example).

Sharon Lefebvre