Science Fair Parental Involvement

DARRYL E BROCK DEBROC at ccmail.monsanto.com
Fri Jul 14 02:11:04 EST 1995

   A friend passed along Karen Allendoerfer's query regarding science
   projects as she knows I have been very active in the Monsanto/St.
   Louis Post-Dispatch Greater St. Louis Science Fair, the largest fair
   in the nation.  I coordinated our internal corporate science fair
   committee for some years and had specific responsibility for the
   $20,000 in Monsanto science fair scholarships.

   Ms. Allendoerfer's question about excessive parental help is an
   important concern I think most science fair organizers share and
   agonize over.  Solutions are not readily apparent without creating a
   science fair police force, an impossible and undesirable solution.
   Despite some percentage of this unfortunate tendency, our experience
   is that most projects are done primarily with student inputs and
   that the fair is overall a positive experience.  In the almost 50
   years of our fair (it is the 3rd oldest in the nation), we have
   many, many letters of testimonial about how some aspect of the
   experience changed people's lives and led them into science careers
   or somehow else led to more productive lives.  Many women said when
   they went to school in the 50's, 60's and 70's that the science fair
   was one of the few affirming experiences bolstering their self-
   confidence, giving them the assurance that they could succeed in
   science or other male-dominated fields.

   While strongly believing science fairs are an overwhelmingly postive
   experience -- despite some real problems we need to continually
   address -- a greater problem with parents is apathy, I think.  There
   are so many students who would do so much better and really get
   excited if only their parents would take them to the library, sit
   down and read the books with them and help them over the tough
   spots, help organize the student's thinking a bit and help them
   figure the first thing to do, and make a few calls to track down
   equipment, set up an interview with a scientist, etc.  Of course,
   inner city children face this even more so.  One innovative hope is
   the city churches.  I would never had thought this, but one day I
   received a phone call from a Sunday school teacher who wanted
   scientist volunteers to come in and tell kids how to do science
   projects.  She explained that the parents were simply a hopeless
   source of help, and that the only unifying force and resource in the
   children's lives was the church.  Astounded at such an unexpected
   plea for help, I asked our best and most articulate science
   volunteer to get over there quickly.

   Specific to the question, though, there are some concrete things we
   do in St. Louis to address the problem of parental overinvolvement
   or otherwise unfair advantages some students have over others:

   1.  Our formula for judging follows the international fair criteria
   and no more than 15% of judging points can be awarded for visual
   presentation.  Thus, slick graphics from NYC publishing houses (or,
   more likely, Macintosh PowerPoint graphics) can only take a project
   so far.  The meat and potatoes of hypothesis, references, expt,
   discussion, etc. are the primary judging points.

   2.  We strive to recruit top-rate judges.  We use 450 judges each
   year and well over half are academic or industrial scientists, or
   scientists from public science institutions (researchers from the
   zoo, botanical gardens, etc.).  Scientists can readily determine
   that a GC chromatograph in a 5th grade project is a bit much -- they
   can ask tough questions and potentially disqualify projects with
   more authority than many teachers.  [This is not to question
   discernment of high-caliber teachers -- somehow, parents questions
   tough measures less when a professor makes the decision than a local
   teacher.]

   3.  Our regional fair of 3500 projects is too large to have the
   students present their projects, but this is an excellent way to
   feret out if the student can explain how they did their magnificent
   work.  If they can't, the conclusions are obvious.  What we do is
   encourage our school fairs (which feed the regional fair) to recruit
   judges among practicing science professionals and then make
   interviewing the students parts of the process.  This separates a
   lot of the excessive parental involvement if the kid "fails" on
   being able to answer basic questions on their project.

   4.  For our HS Honors Division, we do have the liberty of
   interviewing the 30 or so students who commit to above-and-beyond
   projects for consideration for scholarships and  a trip to the
   international fair representing St. Louis.  Our approach is much
   like that described by Amy Walker of Stony Brook in her response to
   this science fair query.  For the $20K in Monsanto scholarships, our
   team of academic judges (we do not use Monsanto people here because
   students sometimes test our herbicides or Nutrasweet products) often
   gives a $4 or $5 K scholarship to a "diamond-in-the-rough" project.
   That is, there might be a very classy genetic engineering project on
   one hand, and a bit amateurish "testing pigments of lobsters grown
   in home aquaria project" on the other hand. The latter might clearly
   be the fruit of a student's diligent efforts in her home basement
   (this is a true story).  The other guy, who did credible work and
   learned a lot, simply did what he was told to do using standard
   methods in a professor's lab.  Our judges will generally award the
   former more handsomely.  The guideline is something like this:
   Considering the resources at the student's disposal, how much did
   they invest in the project and how far did they take it?  This does
   not penalize the student with superior advantages, there is simply a
   higher expectation. An example of a student with superior advantage
   AND superior performance was a guy a few years ago who had access to
   sophisticated computing power and resources and then developed a
   novel, marketable software package for topographical mappping, as I
   remember.  He won top scholarships.

   This same approach is used by the separate team that makes
   selections for who competes are the international level.

   Going back to the general question and perceptions of elitism, etc.,
   I think there are problems and needs for continual improvement but a
   broad look shows a restatement of the problem is an important
   positive.  What are we talking about really?  We are talking about
   the problem of parents spending time with their kids and working
   with them.  This is actually a pretty good problem to be having.  We
   need more of it in a way. Whether it is reading books to kids or
   working on science projects, our children desperately need this
   interaction with parents.

   There was another question regarding the value of competition vs.
   working on teams.  The good news, related to this question, is that
   the international fair has created a teams category and now allows
   and promotes this.  In the St. Louis fair this has been adopted
   (allowed through grade 4 or 5, I think) and schools are taking
   advantage of them.  More and more often, elementary school classes
   opt for a single class science fair project.  I am in the minority
   who is not too enthusiastic about this -- I hope this is not a
   result of an errant Y chromosome!  The way this is being done is
   that the team projects compete in the general arena with all the
   individual projects.  My observation is that young kids can not
   really coordinate and complete their project -- particularly when
   working with such large groups -- and that the teacher in the end
   designs the experiment, establishes the hypothesis and completes the
   writeup.  The result is that my children or anyone else's are
   competing against an adult.  Full circle -- we are back to our
   discussion of excessive parental -- or teacher -- involvement.  But
   specific to the comment of promoting team involvement and the idea
   that this might be suited more to a female approach, this trend
   might be considered positive.

   If readers are unaware, there is also a science olympiad competition
   which is literally a team competition of some kind.  Others may know
   more about this.  I think HS students are required to complete a
   laboratory analysis in so many hours or somesuch. Seems quite an
   interesting approach.  This is a different program than science
   fairs.

   From personal anecdotes, the value of science fairs can be
   underestimated by even it's most enthusiastic proponents (such as
   myself).  I have two daughters (ages 9 and 7) who have done
   challenging projects each year since grade K.  It's a real drain on
   me to help them and keep the right balance of letting them do all
   the work with just some guidance (I mean, I could do it myself 10
   times faster).  Sometimes I question the enormous effort it takes to
   devote four months or so to this each year.  And then the benefits
   crop up in unexpected ways.  One day my 3rd grader told me, "Dad, I
   really like doing my projects because I learn a lot of new words
   that help me in reading class."  And last night a news segment on TV
   reported on the Galileo probe descending towards Jupiter and my
   daugher excitedly ran to get her log book from her 2nd grade Jupiter
   project to show us her drawing of the Galileo probe she made 1.5
   years ago.  She was just dimly beginning to understand how long it
   REALLY takes for space travel.  Or my wife, who volunteers at
   school, reports on how the oldest daughter has exceptional self-
   confidence from doing these projects and is always picked as team
   leader for whatever -- school plays, geography projects -- because
   she knows how to get organized, how to make assignments to team
   members and how to coordinate completing something.  Similarly, she
   readily takes on the challenge of speaking before the class and
   loves to field questions -- it's old hat to her (and fun).  My wife
   won't hear of me backing out on helping the kids with science
   projects -- she judges them as much too valuable!

   This is a good question about the value of fairs and one that should
   be constantly explored.  I hope our local experiences in St. Louis
   are useful as your conversation continues.

   Best regards,

   Darryl E. Brock
   Monsanto Company
   Agrochemical Product Registration