reshaping (my) graduate education

Lesley A Perg lperg at GAS.UUG.Arizona.EDU
Tue Jul 18 17:05:39 EST 1995

SLForsburg (susan_forsburg at qm.salk.edu) wrote:
: lperg at GAS.UUG.Arizona.EDU (Lesley A Perg) wrote:
: > [snip]
[...]

: I think we may see some difference here between fields.  While I agree
:  that there is NEVER a disadvantage to including everything on a cv,
: including teaching, I also have interacted with enough searches through
: colleagues or my own experience on both sides of the line to be aware
: that in the bio sciences, if  they are interested in teaching,
: they will tell you so but it is not the major factor.  If you are applying to a large undergrad university ,it is obvious they want you to
:  teach. BUT they also want you to maintain that vigorous research
: program, as they all want those overhead dollars.  Thus, you can't get
: into that environment if you dont want to do research (the question of
: the original post) and moreover, if they do not perceive your work
: as first rate and fundable, they will not be interested in anything else
: no matter how many teaching awards you might have won.  After all, these
:  days they have upwards of 300-400 applicants to choose from and the
: success rate for first time RO1s at the NIH is....about 15%?  They are making a big investment in startup funds and they want it to be
:  returned.  It never hurts to be outstanding at both research and
: teaching, but you won't get anywhere in the university environment
: without the research.

I think that it is pretty much the same for all fields; the research is
still the major factor for tenure.  *No one* is going to become / remain
a tenure-track professor at a research one university without a healthy
research program.  I just wanted to point out that teaching is also
starting to become a factor.  This is sometimes coming internally; in the
case of state universities like the UofArizona, there is also pressure
from the board of regents to focus more on education.

I agree that all the teaching awards in the world will not typically gain
someone tenure.  A professor in the Chemistry department at the U of A
was recently denied tenure, despite multiple teaching awards and
annually winning one of the 'five-star' teaching awards voted on by
undergraduates.

I also think that there is a subtle difference between 'not getting
anywhere' and not getting tenure.  While a lecturer position does not
carry the salary, tenure, or prestige of a professorship, it is still an
extremely valuable position.  We have a lecturer in the Geosciences
department, and besides handling most of the the intro classes, he also
is the major advisor for the undergraduate club, is the honors advisor,
and teaches a course on geoscienes education.  I feel that having someone
dedicated to teaching and mentoring undergraduates is one of the reasons
that we have such a large undergraduate population (about 130, very large
for a geo department).

--
	|		|  Lesley A Perg  lperg at gas.uug.arizona.edu
	|   /\		|
	|--/--\--/	|  The proportions and relations of things are
	  /    \/	|  just as much facts as the things themselves.
	    	\	|             -DLS, _Gaudy Night_