Teaching/Teacher's College

Patricia S. Bowne pbowne at omnifest.uwm.edu
Mon Jul 24 09:45:45 EST 1995

Susan Forsberg writes:

"I did my undergraduate degree in both science and English and found
the scientists far less illiterate about humanities than the humanities
students about science.  The university  always made an effort to
require breadth of the scientists but not of the humanists.
 Moreover, the humanities students were
almost proud of their science phobia, as though they had no need for
learning any science at all, and they enjoyed sneering at less well
read scientists whom they often dismissed as mere technicians.

(end quote)

I recognize the situation exactly! At the college I teach at we have
scientists/mathematicians with degrees in philosophy, humanities and german,
as well as interests ranging from art to theology. But when I first came, not
only our students but some of our faculty were almost proud of their science
phobias. Our then calculus teacher led workshops for faculty on identifying
their attitudes toward mathematics, and since then the atmosphere has changed.
Now our communications department is putting together some integrated freshman
communications seminars and want to use lives of scientists for some ofthe
reading/discussion topics! So if any of you know short, readable and inspiring
articles on lives of scientists (especially woman scientists), I'd love to
hear about them. I want to do all I can to forward this new plan! - Pat Bowne