on-line mentor needed

Ken Scholz kps2 at kimbark.uchicago.edu
Tue Jul 25 15:11:40 EST 1995

I think one of the most important aspects to securing a 'healthy' post-doc
is talking to the current and past members of the lab.  If possible, do
this away from the lab, where those people will feel more comfortable
offering honest opinions.  Ask about how the mentor handles situations
where a post-doc leaves and wants to continue their work in their own
lab.  Ask about the mentor's level of creative input into the published
works of the lab.  Ask about the mentor's response to new and creative
ideas proposed by post-docs and graduate students.  Openly ask whether
they have a lot of respect for the mentor, her/his work and his/her
ethical stands.
	If you go into a post-doc with the attitude: "I'll put in
my three years and then this person will get me a job", then, IMHO
the problem does not lie with the mentor.
--
Ken Scholz                    Department of Pharm. and Physiology
kps2 at midway.uchicago.edu      Univ. of Chicago