science and humanities and grad school

Mary R Leinhos leinhosm at gas.uug.arizona.edu
Thu Jul 27 14:03:55 EST 1995

Regarding the breadth of the undergraduate experience and its
frequent lack of attention to the relations between subjects, I feel the
urge to include my two cents about the breadth of the graduate
experience.  One of the things I find bothersome about graduate school is
the lack of time or encouragement to continue exploring subjects like
literature and history.  Besides the effects on my growth as a person, I
feel that pursuing such studies would benefit a science grad student by
honing thinking skills and preventing them from becoming too focused, so
that they can't apply their skills to anything but what they have
personally worked on.  Perhaps this is too strong, but I think I can say
that graduate training is too narrow.  What do you think?  I realize the
issue is more complex, as there is already a lot of content to master in
order to become a scientist.

Mary