science and humanities and grad school

Drmarts drmarts at aol.com
Fri Jul 28 09:04:18 EST 1995

Mary R Leinhos <leinhosm at gas.uug.arizona.edu> wrote:
>>> One of the things I find bothersome about graduate school is
the lack of time or encouragement to continue exploring subjects like
literature and history.  Besides the effects on my growth as a person, I
feel that pursuing such studies would benefit a science grad student by
honing thinking skills and preventing them from becoming too focused, so
that they can't apply their skills to anything but what they have
personally worked on.<<<

First of all, any program of graduate study, no matter now focused, that
doesn't hone one's thinking skills isn't worth the time, effort, or
tuition.

I chose to go to grad. school precisely because it was an opportunity to
focus my training on the subject I love, physiology. As for my other
interests, I _made_ the time to pursue them while I was working on my
Ph.D. I learned Aikido, studied feminist spirituality, got involved in the
grad. student government, worked for local political groups and
candidates. Other grad. students in my department pursued interests
inclucing music, religion and theology,  and politics. It takes good time
management skills and the willingness to let one's graduate work take a
bit longer, but for me it was worth it.

Sherry Marts
American Health Assistance Foundation