Penn State's season prospects

Lesley Perg lperg at geo.arizona.edu
Fri Jul 28 19:26:45 EST 1995

Doug O'Neal (oneal at astro.psu.edu) wrote:

[...]

: 								Doug

: P.S.  I'm just posting something in your newsgroups as irrelevant as
: "women of the bible" is to rec.sport.basketball.women.

Well, thanks a whole lot, bud.  That was a random bit of Spammage
directed at all of the newsgroups with .women. in the name.  There is no
sense, and certainly no point, in "punishing" with your irrelevant
comments the other groups *also* subjected to the ad.  The most effective
way to handle the situation is to mail the offending article, with an
explaination, to the postmaster of the site (in this case, compuserve).
Ideally, the administrators of the site would remove this person's
account if they are in the habit of spamming.  Mailing a polite letter to
the offender, and pointing out sources for proper net behavior, is also
appropriate.  Then killfile the thread.  If you feel you *must* reply to
the thread, leave the header the same for those of us that have already
killfiled it.  And if you do change the header, leave the old one in
parantheses so that people can recognize the thread and skip it.

[rec.sport.basketball.women re-added, and follow-ups set to alt.spam]

--
|          | Lesley A Perg     lperg at laplatas.geo.arizona.edu
|   /\     | For this I envy the Geologist.  She can see simultaneously
|--/--\--/ | before her the past and the present.  To her the fan-shaped
  /    \/  | terraces of gravel, opaque in sunlight, are still tumultuous
        \  | rivers in whose heart the pebbles have been rolled from
prehistoric highlands.  Their banks and uplifted estuaries carry, in
petrified evidence, plants and shells and creatures that once animated
them.  Like a staircase receding, the geologic ages climb back into Time;
and on their very lowest steps, poignant as toys found on forgotten
shelves of childhood, lie the earliest tools of men.    -Freya Stark