pregnancy and grad school

lmiller at indyvax.iupui.edu lmiller at indyvax.iupui.edu
Tue Jun 13 21:29:25 EST 1995

Hi!  I am in graduate school and have become pregnant.  Although the timing
is a little off (I was _supposed_ to get pregnant so that the delivery would
be next summer, not in January...), we have been thinking about this for a
while.  It is important to us to spend as much time with the baby, and use
childcare as little as possible, which means somehow juggling my husband's
schedule with my school schedule.  We have thought up some ideas (one of the
newest being to rent an apartment downtown, which is near my husband's job
and my school, so that we can tag-team, and maybe share with some others
interested in doing the same).

Does anyone else have any ideas of how to work in grad school and having a
baby?  I have heard that it is a good time to do this, and I must agree, since
I am on summer break right now.  The flexibility of lab work is very good
since I have been sick, and _very_ tired these last two month.

Thanks for any ideas, encouragement (okay, horror stories, too-I should
be prepared for it all!).  BTW, my chairperson knows and sounds very
supportive, but only time will tell how it all works out..

Thanks,
Laura