Please give me some advice

Penny Wung Burgoon pburgoon at magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu
Thu Jun 15 15:00:20 EST 1995

In article <3rl6vj$sqt at odin.community.net>, desidia at community.net wrote:

> This does not exactly belong here, but i couldn't find a more appropriate
> newsgroup, and i know many professionals read this group.
>
> I work in the R&D department of a large food manufacturing company.
> Recently i attended a luncheon in honor of some guests (clients and
> distributors).  One of my coworkers was invited too.  The guests were very
> curious about the different aspects of our research, and they asked many
> questions.  I don't know how the conversation took the turn it did, but
> all of a sudden my coworker was enumerating the vicepresident's
> personality flaws.  Then she complained about the contamination problems
> we have had after the vp insisted on implementing a new screening
> procedure....
>
> Should i say something to her?  Should i say something to my boss (my boss
> is not the vp in question)?  Should i say something to her boss?  Should i
> forget the whole deal?

Thea,

   I've been in a similar situation where our labgroup (there were 6 of us
at the time) was invited to dinner by another researcher and his coworkers
during a conference. At dinner, one of our grad students began to joke
about our technician (who didn't come to the conference) and her bad
temper, remarking about how it must her "that time of the month," when
she's upset. I was too shocked and embarassed to do anything about it at
that time. The next evening, however, I did talk to this student, letting
him know that it was really in poor taste to publically discuss this
situation in front of total strangers.
   I think that this is the least that you could do - to talk to this
coworker. Let her know that her conduct is really unprofessional and, at
the least, extremely rude. "Personality flaws" are things that are
determined on a personal basis and aren't for one individual to pass onto
others. There's no excuse for this type of discussion at such a public
forum.

Penny
pburgoon at magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu

--