pregnancy and grad school

M.E.C. Fitzgerald MALINDA at NB.UTMEM.EDU
Tue Jun 20 14:38:16 EST 1995

In article <3rqp8k$evf at nntp3.u.washington.edu>, sprack at u.washington.edu
(Douglas Spracklin) wrote:

> lmiller at indyvax.iupui.edu writes:
Congratulations!
I got pregnant as a post-doc and I think graduate school would have been
better!  I think much of the pressure that you get as a woman and working
in a research environment comes from who your boss is.  I have a very
supportative boss that had just had his first child 1 year ahead of me.
That really helped.  I think you might have more energy at a younger age.
I waited almost too long!  I was 34 when my daughter was born.  Combine
sleep deprivation with grant deadlines and it was a very stressful time.
Now I have to juggle my schedule dealing with experiments and grants around
getting help with my daughter.  My husband helps a lot and I have
supportative students/technicians that assist in keeping my daughter out of
trouble while we finish things up late in the evening (this often happens
no matter when you planned to finish).  I brought my daughter to work a lot
when she was small the prot-a-crib fit fine in my office.  It is actually
harder now that she is 6 since she wants the computer!  Good luck.

Think positive and enjoy life every day!
Malinda at nb.utmem.edu
Malind E.C. Fitzgerald, Ph.D.
Dept of Anatomy and Neurobiology UT, Memphis