Researchers leaving science

Laurel S. Bernstein lbernstein at isisph.com
Wed Jun 21 09:50:09 EST 1995

In article <8ABA534.0782000356.uuout at execnet.com> myrna.watanabe at execnet.com (MYRNA WATANABE) writes:
>From: myrna.watanabe at execnet.com (MYRNA WATANABE)
>Subject: Researchers leaving science
>Date: Tue, 20 Jun 95 22:12:00 -0500

>For an article on why scientists leave science, for The Scientist, a biweekly
>magazine with a readership of 60,000 life scientists, I am looking for
>psychologists, social scientists or policy analysts who have data on the
>numbers of scientists forsaking research for other employment, and reasons
>for giving up research.  Please DO NOT contact me with individual cases.  At
>present, I am solely interested in data and trends.
>Thank you very much.
>Myrna E. Watanabe, Ph.D.
>myrna.watanabe at execnet.com
>Tel.: 914-968-7021 FAX: 914-376-7487

Please clarify this- leaving research is not the same as leaving science (some
of you will know this is one of my pet peeves)! Please also make this clear in
your article. I no longer work at the bench but as a patent agent for a
biotech company, I talk (and write) science nonstop and use far more of my
scientific training than I did as a postdoc.
I look forward to this article- I have a copy of The Scientist open on my desk
right now and appreciate its treatment of these broader issues.
Thanks.