What am I worth?

Donna O. Perdue dperdue at wolfe.net
Mon Jun 26 08:15:39 EST 1995

Hi folks--

	I have a job interview soon, and would appreciate pointers on how to
negotiate the best salary/benefits package.  As a grad student and now a
postdoc,  I don't have any experience determining what I'm worth-- in
these positions, we just accept the salary offered if we want the position.
	I'm being interviewed for a research leader position at a biotech company.
How do I find out what other employees at this level were offered and
presently earn?  How can I do some homework before I go for the interview?
 I'm not a shy person, so I'm willing to ask people point-blank or do some
snooping if that is the way to go.  But I also suspect that the 'etiquette' of
interviewing might discourage appearing too blatantly nosy about salary.   The
bottom line is, I just want to find out what is fair and reasonable so I know
my options.
	 I would appreciate any advice from folks with experience and/or strong
opinions in this matter.  You may either email me or post replies.   I will
pass along any  helpful comments in case any other readers could use the info.

						Thanks in advance

						D.O. Perdue
						dperdue at wolfe.net