?-Paper quantitiy in grad. school

Amy Walker agenbite at asterix.bio.sunsb.edu
Tue Jun 27 09:11:43 EST 1995

In article <9505268041.AA804192651 at ccmail.monsanto.com>,
BARODR at ccmail.monsanto.com ("BARBRA A RODRIGUEZ-THOMAS") wrote:

>     I wanted to know what other students and professors feel about the
need to
> produce a lot of papers during graduate school.

As someone who is currently finishing graduate school, I have also
wondered about this. People I've talked to say that the number of papers
you've produced count most when applying for post-doc fellowships.
Although with the money situation so tight, potential to fund yourself
seems like an important 'hirability factor'. Several people in our
department have gone on to good post-docs with only one or two
publications, but I imagine their recomendations were really good. Anyway,
I'd like to hear from the faculty side of this question.

Amy Walker