?-Paper quantitiy in grad. school

Warren Gallin gal-1 at bones
Tue Jun 27 08:49:34 EST 1995

On Tue, 27 Jun 1995, Amy Walker wrote:

> In article <9505268041.AA804192651 at ccmail.monsanto.com>,
> BARODR at ccmail.monsanto.com ("BARBRA A RODRIGUEZ-THOMAS") wrote:
>
> >     I wanted to know what other students and professors feel about the
> need to
> > produce a lot of papers during graduate school.
>
> As someone who is currently finishing graduate school, I have also
> wondered about this. People I've talked to say that the number of papers
> you've produced count most when applying for post-doc fellowships.
> Although with the money situation so tight, potential to fund yourself
> seems like an important 'hirability factor'. Several people in our
> department have gone on to good post-docs with only one or two
> publications, but I imagine their recomendations were really good. Anyway,
> I'd like to hear from the faculty side of this question.

	Having several papers out makes it easy to evaluate skill and
productivity.  However, from what I have seen they are not the sole
indicator, and possibly not even the best.  I think that it is important
to get information from the supervisor as to how independent the student
was in the design and execution of the experiments, and also whether the
student contributed to the overall productivity of the lab in ways that
may not have been recognized by authrships in the short term, but that
bode well for lng term productivity (for example, their project produced
a pivotal reagent for a number of other peoples work, they always make
cogent contributions to everyone else's project design).

	I guess the bottom line for me, and I suspect many others, is to
take on a postdoc who is recognized by the people who have worked with
them as smart and productive, even if the publication list is not
overwhelming.  The idea here is that many people blossom late in graduate
school and that just has not made it through the pipeline to the
journals.  On the other hand, as far as getting into really hot,
competitive labs where the lab head has a lot of applicants to choose
from, I think you will find that publication record carries more weight.

I hope this helps,

Warren Gallin