?-Paper quantitiy in grad. school

Michaela Heeb mheeb at parker.bio.uci.edu
Tue Jun 27 10:07:53 EST 1995

I am a 6th year grad student in a department with diverse research
interests.  Of my grad cohorts you can see the following breakdown:

-tissue culture techniques:  10+ pubs
-hard core protein chemist:   1
-electrophysiology:           1-3
-neuroanatomy/in situ:        0-3
-behavior:                    2
-molecular biologist:         2

The number of pubs you get is directly related to your research
"techniques".  The guy who can complete an experiment a day using a
tissue culture model - can pump out a ton of pubs, and his boss expects
him to.  doing developmental neuroanatomical tract-tracing simply takes a
year of waiting for litters, waiting for tracers and tons of scope work
and scope drawing, no one expects more than 1 or 2 pubs (total) from this
grad student.

I guess the bottom line is to figure out what the norm is for your
specific sub-field - the people reviewing any grant you write will be
very familiar with your specific field and will know what a reasonable
productivity rate would be.
					don't worry - ask your PI