?-Paper quantity in grad. school

matkisso at opal.tufts.edu matkisso at opal.tufts.edu
Thu Jun 29 12:55:59 EST 1995

This is a bit on the light-hearted side, but I once worked for a professor who
pronounced the Rule of Seven:

	The number of years in school and the number of publications
	must add up to seven:  Four years and 3 papers, 5 years and
	2 papers, six years and one paper, seven with none, or eight
	years and a retraction.

The funny thing is, this has turned out somewhat to be true.  He's had two
students graduate shortly after the end of their fourth years with at least
three papers each (1st or significant 2nd authorships), and he has one seventh
year with (I think) no first author publications.

Peg