?-Paper quantitiy in grad. school

Marianne Oprisko MOprisko at tamu.edu
Thu Jun 29 15:42:55 EST 1995

BARODR at ccmail.monsanto.com ("BARBRA A RODRIGUEZ-THOMAS") wrote:

>     I wanted to know what other students and professors feel about the need to
> produce a lot of papers during graduate school.  I had  thought this was not an
> issue until you did a postdoc, but I have heard some comments that would
> suggest otherwise.  I thought getting a well-rounded education should be the
> key determinant to future success.  Are professors weighting paper quantitiy in
> thinking about taking on a new postdoc?  Does it depend on what field--such as
> developmental biology-- you choose to enter?  I appreciate any insight into
> this matter.

Hi,

I am also one of those ancient Grad. Students about 6 months from
finishing my Ph.D. in Plant Physiology and Plant Biotechnology.
I can tell you from experience that the difference between having
papers and not having papers is whether or not you get a real job or
not.  What do I mean by this?

 I have 3 pubs. from my masters and about the same comming from my
Ph. D.  I have been approached by an industry head hunter and have
been invited to apply for an Asst. Prof. job at a major land grant
university.  My peers who don't have the pubs. are looking for Post-
Docs or technician jobs.  One friend who has been a Post-Doc for at
least 5 years has been told that her negatives are that she has not
published her Ph. D. dissertation research (slow Major Prof.) and that
she has no *lecture* teaching experience.

I was told a great truth by a Prof. when I came to TAMU. He said,"You
haven't done anything until it has been published."

Just my $0.02,

Marianne
Moprisko at tamu.edu