just wondering....

Julia A. Keith Julia.A.Keith at DARTMOUTH.EDU
Wed Mar 1 09:04:32 EST 1995

--- Stacey Chin wrote:
I'm a senior in engineering and I just recently noticed that my ideas and
thoughts just get ignored, but when a male to state the same idea it gets
noticed. Has this happened to anyone else? If so how did you handle it?
(Lots of lab classes and it gets more frustrating by the day.)
--- end of quoted material ---

I'm not sure from your post who is ignoring you-your fellow students or your
professor?

  One thing that I found (because it was pointed out to me by another woman)
was that I often phrased ideas as "I'm not sure, but..(idea)" or "This may not
be exactly right, but,...(idea)" or just, " I was wondering if ...(idea)"..
These ideas got ignored while my male collegues (students) said , "You know,
(idea) is what this is." or "(Idea) will work"  and people listened to the
exact same thing I had just said in my demur way.  My own desire not to offend
by sounding too sure of myself had my ideas dead in the water.
I don't know if this is the case where you are, but it's something to watch out
for.

Julie Keith