controlling my temper

edjorgensen at delphi.com edjorgensen at delphi.com
Fri Mar 3 20:23:46 EST 1995

Although I'm sure your complaints are valid for your work
situation, I can't tell you how many times I've seen good
technicians seethe their lives away by resenting all Ph.D.s.
Rather than fighting the environment, which is rarely
successful, why don't you get another job in a place with
decent people?  After they lose a few good people like you,
your bosses will have to wake up to the fact that they can't
treat other professionals like dirt, no matter what their
educational level.  I know, because I've extricated myself from
two such situations.  I always got called back to do freelance
work by former bosses who were sorry they let me go - and
believe me, I charged more!  Try fighting back, but don't waste
your energy on these clowns if it reaches the point of
diminishing returns.

Also, please don't take this the wrong way, but we are often
judged by the way we communicate.  Your posting was riddled
with grammatical and spelling errors.  Lots of folks will jump
on these as an excuse to hold you back.  And it can't hurt to
become more facile at expressing yourself-  it helps in all
situations from promoting your research to talking your way out
of a traffic ticket!

Ellen Jorgensen, Ph.D.
Director of Scientific Affairs
Albert B. Sabin Vaccine Foundation