Is gyn neglected for OB?

Ruhlen Rachel rar453s at nic.smsu.edu
Thu Mar 9 23:22:21 EST 1995

As I've been hunting around for a possible med school to attend that doesn't
require me to be a resident of that state, I've run across a trend in the
curricula of med schools.  For "women's studies" they stress obstretics lots,
and gynecology only for cancer.  I noticed this also when the gyn at the
student health center on campus died in a car wreck-- anyone else I wanted to
ask questions of was always primarily an OB, and secondarily GYN.  This is
frustrating to me because I do not want to be an OB, and I think the field of
gynecology is broad enough that I could specialize in that and have plenty of
work to do.  Which leads me to wonder: is gyn being neglected?  Why is everyone
OB?  I know plenty of people who have had problems with infections, menstrual
cycles, etc of all ages.  I don't think pregnancy is the leading "problem" or
change women experience--although I could be wrong.  Does anyone else have a
more educated opinion than I do?

Rachel