Should I change my surname?

desidia at community.net desidia at community.net
Sat Mar 11 21:40:37 EST 1995

I am from Spain. In Spain, everybody has two last names.  My name is
Gloria Mercado Martin.  Mercado comes from my father, and Martin comes
from my mother.  When i came to the US i noticed that my name was
taken as Gloria M. Martin, as it was assumed that Mercado was a
middle name.  I decided to hyphonate my last name to remove the doubt.
However, this method has also brought some confusion for many, as i am
asked about my marital status frequently.  Even some college professor
allowed himself a little joke at my expense on the first day of class:
"What are you going to do when you get married?"

Sorry that this is a bit off-topic, but someone complained about the lack
of posts on this group, and why not?

Gloria Mercado-Martin