Karen Swartz - Classes for Grad school

Cindy Hale chale at SAGE.NRRI.UMN.EDU
Thu Mar 16 13:57:07 EST 1995

I tried sending this to you personally but it got returned so decided to
just post it.

You might look at the University of Minnesota, the St. Paul campus has a
Conservation Biology program that is very highly reccommended by students
that have been involved.  Another to check might be Utah State, I've heard
good things about it too.

I terms of coursework I would talk to faculty or the graduate director of
the program(s) you are interested in and see what they would prefer you
have AND what would make you competitive since many of these programs
are difficult to get into, though I know the Uof MN program likes folks
with diverse backgrounds so that is not neccessarily a detriment to you.
Another consideration is that you will have TONS of deficiencies comming
into any program, since you do not have a biology or related undergraduate
degree.  You might want to check out what those would be and decide at
that point whether or not to try to get them satisfied before you enter
any program.  It's tough to make up a lot of deficiencies while trying to
work on current coursework and a thesis.  It also may be much less
expensive to make some of them up at community colleges or as an adult
special rather than at graduate student tuition rates.Some things to think
about, good luck, and welcome to the field!
Cindy Hale
University of Minnesota - Duluth
Natural Resources Research Institute