Affirmative action?

Mary Jane Nather natherm at ucs.orst.edu
Wed Mar 22 11:52:17 EST 1995

On 22 Mar 1995, Coscolluela Eileene wrote:

>[snip]
> 	Maybe it's just me, but I just haven't experienced any
> 	really difficult situations.  I've been in classes when there
> 	have been almost all men and I've never had problems in
> 	dealing with them.  I take on a very professional attitude,
> 	could that be why?  Could it be than in the honors classes,
> 	the attitudes are different than in standard classes?  I don't
> 	know, but I know that I've never had any difficulty in being
> 	a woman.  I've never had any more obstacles than my male
> 	counterparts, atleast none that I have seen.  I think I do
> 	things just as easily (or have just as hard time with something)
> 	as they do.

[snip]

> 	Have I lived in a 'sterile' environment?  I just don't see it,
> 	so I don't care for things like affirmative action, because
> 	I don't see the discrimination.  It's not like I can't see
> 	discrimination (I'm very active in gay, lesbian, bisexual,
> 	and transgendered rights), but I really haven't felt it
> 	towards myself for being a woman or being a minority (a little,
> 	but not the extreme that I think affirmative action takes it
> 	to be).

Probably.  I used to feel as you do.  I have always been treated very
well by men in school, because they *knew* that I knew my stuff.  In fact
in high school, there was another girl (4 total) in my physics class who
had a really snobby, superior attitude.  We were the top two students in
the class, but all the guys told me that they respected and liked me more
because I treated them as equals and didn't speak down to them.

Now, I'm in graduate school and I'm in a lab with a true chauvanist.  He
is older (in his 50's?), so maybe that's his "excuse" but mostly he's
just a creep.  He treats all the women in the lab, or any who might come
into the lab to borrow something, as if we were idiots and totally
incompetent.  I could go on forever with stories about this guy, but
that's not the point.  The point is, if this white male were in the
position to hire and fire, I would bet money that the female applicants
would end up in the trash.

I also feel uncomfortable with the idea of affirmitive action in the
context of hiring every minority available, regardless of
qualifications.  But on the other hand, men like the one in my lab cannot
by trusted to treat minorities with the basic respect you should afford
another human being.  That's how affirmitive action got started, I
think.

Maybe it's just outlived its usefulness.  There is a lot of resentment in
white males (young and old); I've spoken to several who feel that they
are being maliciously cut out of the system for no reason except the
color of their skin and their y chromosome.  Some might think "Good!  Now
they know how it feels!" but I don't think affirmitive action should be
about punishment.

A friend tells me about some US Forest Service jobs that went to women
recently.  No women applied, so some supervisors went out and actually
recruited women to apply, some of whom really weren't qualified.  So now
those women are struggling and giving all of us a bad name--you never
hear a guy say "That guy's a jerk!  I'm never hiring a man again!" but
it's said of women all the time!  Doesn't it seem like if only 30% of the
applications come from minorities, then 30% of the positions should be
filled by minorities, rather than rounding up some females, or
African-Americans, or disabled persons so a company can look good on
paper?  Sorry, I'm rambling.

I agree that the goal should be to hire all persons based on their
qualifications, but there are still so many people responsible for making
hiring decisions that look at gender and race as a handicap to one's
skills, I guess affirmitive action is the best thing we have for the
moment.  I think the backlash is only going to get worse, though.   I
hope that young, up and coming scientists like myself don't get seriously
hurt because of it.

MJ
Dept. of Microbiology
Oregon State University