Old girl network

Hilary Bates hbates at amgen.com
Mon Mar 27 19:21:58 EST 1995

>      Subject: Re: Old girl network
>         Date: 21 Mar 1995 07:34:00 -0800
>         From: chale at SAGE.NRRI.UMN.EDU ("Cindy Hale")

> I whole heartedly agree and think science and this society would be a
> better place if people began to live more balanced and complete lives, AND
> got personal and professional support for doing so, instead of becoming
> so mono-minded.
> Thanks Donna,
> Cindy Hale

I'd like to add "amen to that"! My life's philosophy has always been that
if getting to the top means being a workaholic, I'll stay at the bottom,
thanks.
Although I left research long ago for information/library work and have been
in a position of supporting researchers in their efforts ever since, and
although also my reasons for leaving research had nothing to do with the long
hours involved, I have been able to pursue a number of extracurricular
activities to a high standard (music for example) and feel I have a balanced
life. The choices may not be so simple for all of us, but I'd like to see
those who do choose research not being forced into spending all hours at the
bench when they have things they would _rather_ do.

Just my $0.02...

Hilary Bates
hbates at amgen.com