Leaking pipes, was Re: old girls and hiring

SLForsburg susan_forsburg at qm.salk.edu
Wed Mar 29 10:53:57 EST 1995

wardp at herald.usask.ca (Pearse Ward) wrote:
  (stuff deleted)
> There are
> currently enough women in science to fill 50% of available positions and
> serve as mentors for the next generation if equality of opportunity,
> parity of esteem, and a willingness to re-evaluate traditional ideas on
> how science is done (hours of work, job sharing, family leave etc) are
> made the main goals......

Pearse's comments, inside the affirmative action thread, made me stop
for a moment.  My department recently had a job search and fewer than
20% of the applicants were women.  yet at the postdoc and student
level, numbers are indeed around 50/50.  Informal talks with colleagues
at other institutions suggest the same observation. New thread, then.

Where are the women?
Why arent they applying?