Leaking pipes

Lori Burrows lburrows at uoguelph.ca
Fri Mar 31 12:17:31 EST 1995

becker at hal4.usm.uni-muenchen.de wrote:
: providers (the german equivalent to the NSF) is mainly funding PhD students
: plus MOBILE post docs. They have announced that ignoring the quality of my
*snip* ^^^^^^

	It's the "mobile" part that frustrates me as far as funding goes.  I
did my PhD at the same university where I am now doing a postdoc, and for that
reason only, disregarding my past record and present quality of research,
I cannot receivng funding from some sources.  I know I would have a good
chance otherwise, since I have received 6 years already (four graduate,
two postdoc to work at a company in this same city).
	I am one of the many who are not at liberty to relocate due to the
stability of their husband's job.  Although I have moved to another lab
and area of research than the one in which I did my PhD and meanwhile have
had an industrial position after graduation, geography seems to be more
important.  If the point of moving around is to diversify yourself, why
can't that be accomplished within a reasonably-sized institution?  I was
lucky to find a professor willing to hire me off his grant although he
knows I may not be able to come up with any financial contribution of my
own.  I really would rather not have to go elsewhere for a few years and
leave my family (8 month old) behind just to satisfy funding
requirements, but I feel like I'm shooting myself in the foot either way.
	Anyone else in this frustrating predicament?

Dr. Lori Burrows
Dept. of Microbiology, (again)
University of Guelph
lburrows at uoguelph.ca