Affirmaive action?

Chuck Gasser csgasser at ucdavis.edu
Thu Mar 30 13:46:21 EST 1995

I forward the following (with permission) to the newsgroup.

Date: Wed, 29 Mar 1995 20:08:23 -0800
From: Gloria Mercado-Martin <desidia at community.net>
To: csgasser at ucdavis.edu (Chuck Gasser)
Subject: Re: Affirmative action?
Newsgroups: bionet.women-in-bio

: Some of the skeptics who write to this newsgroup might asl why I say
: that hiring new women faculty is good news.  A number of women
: undergraduate advisees of mine have told me that their confidence in
: themselves as potential scientists was significantly enhanced by
their
: taking courses taught by women.  Just having the opportunity to view
: other women in the professor role made it more clear to them that
this

: was a perfectly appropriate and comfortable position for a woman to
: hold

This is so true!  I completed a BS in Agricultural Engineering, and i
only had 2 female professors (they both looked so young).  I then
completed a second BS (in Plant science), at a department with an
all-male professorship.  When i went to UCD to do my MS (Viticulture &
Enology) i was glad to have a good exposure to female professors, and
what professors!  This contact with them really opened my eyes.  One of
them eventually became my major professor, and i can sincerely say that
developed more confidence in my work and my role as a scientist.

Gloria Mercado-Martin

                "Thinking gives you wrinkles!"
                        Malibu Stacy