Affirmative action?

desidia at community.net desidia at community.net
Wed Mar 29 23:21:56 EST 1995

:91.950323120638.594C-100000 at chip> <3ktf90$pl2 at vixen.cso.uiuc.edu>

Coscolluela Eileene (ecoscoll at ux4.cso.uiuc.edu) wrote:

: 	I think more money needs to be spent atthe elementary schools
: 	to teach diversity and get rid of notions like affirmative

I did not grow up in the US, so i am not terribly familiar with the
school system.  However, when i came here to go to college, i had to take
a number of "General Education" courses.  Among them, i had a choice of
Ethnic Studies:  Asian Studies, Afro-American Studies, Chicano-Latino
Studies, even Women Studies was in that category!  And the first thing i
thought is that when someone is 20 years old it is a bit too late to start
enlightening him/her about another race or gender, when one has already
built preconceptions, prejudice and even resentment.  Do the kids in grade
school have good exposure to all the different races that are part of the
"melting pot"?

My front-door neighbor, a sweet and very smart 13-yr-old Filipino kid, was
complaining that he has to take "Square Dancing" this semester. It is ironic,
when about 70% of his class is non-white.  Does it make sense?

Gloria