Should women be held to same standard?

Neo Martinez szmrtnz at peseta.ucdavis.edu
Mon May 29 02:32:25 EST 1995

Ruth's second post below should convince everyone that this thread is not
based on flame bait.  Still, I have some difficulties with it.

It seems that this woman is being held to a much higher standard than is
typically applied to males.  I know of several males that engage in
similar or more intensely inappropriate behavior and it seemed to have no
affect in them receiving tenure...  they consistently get it anyway.

Indeed, the woman in question was probably educated in an environment
where male teachers often engaged in such inappropriate behavior.  It can
even be perversely seen as "one of the perks of the job."  That this woman
would have her tenure threatened whereas males (in my experience) don't is
just another perversion.  It was reassuring to me that Ruth did some more
research and found that one of her trusted and respected colleagues also
engages in similarly inappropriate behavior.  Good reality check!

What is most disturbing is that the enthusiasm for holding the woman
professor responsible may reflect the following:  We can't hold men
responsible which makes us even more inclined to hold woman responsible.

In other words, this behavior is a problem and I see no need hole women
to an even *higher* standard than men.
						-neo

Neo D. Martinez                    email ndmartinez at ucdavis.edu
Research Fellow                    Phone 707-875-2211
Bodega Marine Laboratory                 707-865-0777
University of California, Davis    FAX   707-875-2089