Teaching pos'ns w/o research

Sonya Baird SBAIRD at TIFTON.CPES.PEACHNET.EDU
Thu Nov 2 10:38:12 EST 1995

In article <Pine.A32.3.91.951031141338.35168A-100000 at aruba.ccit.arizona.edu>
Mary R Leinhos <maryl at U.Arizona.EDU> writes:

>I would like to throw out a couple nmore questions on this subject.  To
>what extent are adjunct biology faculty hired who stopped with a Master's
>Degree?  Is anyone aware of attempts to develop adjunct faculty positions
>into more permanent and "official" type positions?  Other ideas about
>teaching career options for Master's degree holders?
>
>Mary Leinhos
>University of Arizona

I WOULD LIKE TO HEAR MORE ON THIS, TOO.  I HAVE AN M.S. AND ALL OF THE COURSE-
WORK FOR A PH.D. BUT LIFE GOT IN THE WAY ABOUT 9 YEARS AGO AND THE PH.D. DIDN'T
GET FINISHED.  I HAD A PART-TIME POSITION TEACHING 1 CLASS PER QUARTER AT A GA.
JUNIOR COLLEGE AT ONE TIME.  WE MOVED TO INDIANA WHERE I GOT A FULL-TIME TENURE
TRACK POSITION TEACHING MAJORS BIOLOGY AT ANOTHER JUNIOR COLLEGE.  MY HUSBAND'S
DISSATISFACTION WITH HIS POSITION THERE CAUSED US TO MOVE TO GA. AGAIN.  THERE
HAVE BEEN ADS FOR FULL TIME TEACHING ONLY POSITIONS AT JUNIOR COLLEGES IN THIS
AREA BUT THEY ALL "PREFER" A PH.D..  ONE OF THESE WAS AT THE JUNIOR COLLEGE
WHERE I PREVIOUSLY TAUGHT AND WHERE THE DEPT. HEAD HAD WRITTEN RECOMMENDATIONS
SAYING THAT SHE WOULDN'T HESITATE TO HIRE ME FULL-TIME.  I APPLIED FOR THE FULL
 TIME SLOT WHEN WE MOVED BACK HERE BUT ADMINISTRATIVE PRESSURES PREVENTED THEIR
EVEN INTERVIEWING ANYONE WITHOUT THE PH.D..  I HAVE APPLIED FOR OTHER SIMILAR
POSITIONS BUT DON'T GET INTERVIEWS THERE, EITHER.  I HAVE EXCELLENT RECOMMENDA-
TION LETTERS AND WHEN I TALK TO THE "HIRING" DEPT. HEADS I ALWAYS HEAR THE SAME
THING -- THE ADMINISTRATION WANTS ONLY PH.D.S SO THEY CAN "UPGRADE" AND "BE
COMPETITIVE".  I KNOW THAT I AM A GREAT TEACHER AT THIS LEVEL BUT JUST CAN'T
GET A JOB!!!!! SO--I WORK AS A MINIMALLY PAID TECHNICIAN NOW.  WITH A FULL TIME
JOB AND A CHILD TO CARE FOR, I REALLY CAN'T AFFORD THE TIME NEEDED TO TRY FOR
A PART-TIME NIGHT TEACHING ASSIGNMENT AGAIN IN THE (PROBABLY VAIN) HOPE THAT IT
WILL LEAD TO MY BEING CONSIDERED WHEN AND IF A FULL-TIME SLOT OPENS.
    ANY IN-PUT OR SUGGESTIONS FROM ANYONE ELSE?
                                SONYA
(NO SHOUTING INTENDED -- USING AN ANTIQUATED TERMINAL WITH ONLY UPPERCASE
LETTERS)