New authorship question

Laura Hyatt lhyatt at mail.sas.upenn.edu
Thu Nov 2 09:09:12 EST 1995

>sll2s at cc.usu.edu wrote:
>>Since we are on the general topic of authorship, I have a question.  I am
>>getting ready to publish my first paper and I was wondering whether anyone has
>>any opinions as to using initials vs. full first/middle name, assuming the
>>journal gives you a choice. The journal I'm publishing in does give a choice
>>and I've decided to use my initials only.  My reasoning is that by only using
>>my initials the reader cannot be biased as to the sex of the author(s) and
>>evaluates the paper on its merits alone.  I don't know the frequency that such
>>bias occurs or if it matters (if the reader met me he/she would find out soon
>>enough that I'm female).
>>
>>Any thoughts,
>>
>>S. L. Osowski

I'd like to enter my vote for using your full name (what you do for
reviews does not particularly matter to me).  However, I echo the
comments of one reader who suggested that inserting your full name
works well for women.  A couple of years ago I tried to compile some
statistics about women's publishing habits (and journals' publishing
habits) and the hardest part about it was interpreting peoples' names
in terms of their gender.  It was demoralizing to see how few women
publish solo papers vs. men, but I'm always gratified to see a female
name.  Makes me proud of my gender (gee, if a man said that, I don't
know _what_ I'd think).  Anyway,

My $0.04

Laura
Laura Hyatt                           The biggest sin is
lhyatt at mail.sas.upenn.edu             sitting on your ass.
University of Pennsylvania            - Florynce Kennedy
Department of Biology
Philadelphia, PA 19104