Teaching pos'ns w/o research

Patricia S. Bowne pbowne at omnifest.uwm.edu
Fri Nov 3 07:25:44 EST 1995

Regarding getting a teaching positon with an MSc, I think a college's
promotion policies might be relevant too. At my Alma mater, they hired
people with Master's degrees during the boom years of the 60's, but 25 years
later these people were all still assistant professors with no hope of
promotion. With the additional factor that market value for new faculty
hires rises faster than the pay raises at many institutions, I
can see this resulting in serious wage compression - that is, you have
two people doingthesame job but the new hire is paid more and
promoted faster than the very senior person. I've read analyses of
some institutions where this became a major problem.

So an institution might see trouble down the road if they hire someone
who wouldn't be meeting the criteria for promotion - and at lots of
places, a 'terminal degree' is a criterion for associate professor
status. I know if I were considering a person with an MSc for a tenure-
track position (not that I do the hiring at my institution :)), I
would want to have a really serious talk about their views of their
future at the institution. How they saw themselves advancing, what
special spot in the department they would fill, what made them so
unique that we might be able to justify promoting them or giving them
raises in the future. Because I wouldn't want to hire someone into
a dead-end job and then have them around with tenure but no hope
of advancement.

These are my personal views and may or may notreflect those of
my institution or administration  - I'm not writing as an expert of any
kind, just someone who's worried about this sort of thing off and on.

Pat Bowne