research w/o teaching?

SLForsburg susan_forsburg at qm.salk.edu
Mon Nov 6 17:41:23 EST 1995

tross at iastate.edu (Tamara K Ross) wrote:
>After viewing the discussion of teaching positions without research, I
>began to think about the job market for doing research without the
>demands of teaching.  I am interested in research, but am not currently
>as interested in teaching as I feel that I should be to pursue an
>academic position.

There are "academic" research only positions.  Some universities have
adjunct research faculty, and of course there are research institutes
that are research-only.  However, the downside is that these tend to
require the investigator to recover a large fraction of salary from
grants (so called "soft money") and it isnt a good time for getting
grants!

Also, speaking as a research institute faculty member with
few formal teaching responsibilities, running a lab involves a lot
of teaching, if you run it properly.  Not the lecturing in front of
classes variety, but still, teaching. The best students, postdocs
and techs dont want to work in a lab in which they can't learn from
the PI.  The nicest part is that the PI can also learn from the lab.

susan

S L Forsburg
susan_forsburg at qm.salk.edu
http://flosun.salk.edu/users/forsburg/lab.html