Medicine and Women

JuneKK junekk at aol.com
Fri Nov 10 11:02:58 EST 1995

On Nov.4,  Helen Hansma <hhansma at physics.ucsb.edu>  wrote:

<<My doc is talking hormone replacement for protection against
heart disease, and I'm pretty opposed.  An aspirin a day seems
like a much lower impact drug treatment, but - does it work for
women?  It's only been tested for men. >>

Actually, other studies investigating the efficacy of aspirin against
heart disease has since been extended to include women.  These studies
suggest that aspirin is also beneficial for women, but not to the same
extent as men.  See refs:
Hershey, L.A. (1991) Stroke prevention in women:  role of aspirin vs.
ticlopidine. Amer. J. Med. 91:288-292.
Ullrich, J.H., Yeater, R.A. and Dalal, J. (1992) Heart disease in women
[Review]. W. Virginia Med. J 88: 552-5.

<<I think it's important for women to become involved in decision
making on medical research, since part of the problem is
doubtless that men are carrying out research on problems that
interest them.>>
It is necessary for both men and women to be aware of the importance in
carrying out clinical studies that include "sex-matched" groups, since
many studies show that gender may play a contributing factor to the final
outcome.   In general,  the prevalence of "one gender" studies are
changing, aren't they?  For example, NIH requires that investigator
explain the reasons why he/she would want to do any clinical study with
just one gender.

June Kume-Kick, Ph.D.