Would part-time science help?

Karen C Jones jone0077 at GOLD.TC.UMN.EDU
Mon Nov 27 09:56:23 EST 1995

I don't have any answers to your questions.  I can only tell you of my
experience.  I am 49 years old, a wife and mother, and in my 9th year of
graduate school.  I do not subscribe to the Male Model of graduate school
which requires 24 hour obsession with one's work.  I have a life.  I am
continually asked my my adviser and committee members if I am a
"part-time" graduate student. I insist that I am full time.  But I feel I
am not taken seriously.  I am seen as "not committed" and a dilettante.
How can I succeed in male-dominated science without subcribing to the
Male Model of graduate school?