Would part-time science help?

Julia Frugoli JFRUGOLI at BIO.TAMU.EDU
Mon Nov 27 12:14:25 EST 1995

>From:          "Marilyn.Walker."<Marilyn.Walker at colorado.edu>
>ask administrators about how to increase diversity (=bringing in more
>minorities and women), they talk about 2 things: (1) effective
>recruiting, and (2) supporting people once they are here. In the first
>case, as long as there is _one_ woman _or_ minority on an interview
>list,
>no matter what the ratio was in the total applications, everyone seems
>happy. Don't you love how all "disadvantaged" groups are
>interchangeable?

Trouble is, even if all the interviewees but one are women, if you can't
offer a job to their academic husband as well they often won't come and
once again the one man on the interview list gets hired, because his
wife is willing to work as technician.  Very few men want to be their
wife's technician.

>As far as supporting people, it is obvious how to do that (I am
>speaking
>only for women):

I hope not-many male post-docs i know would love a postion where they
could actually be Dad.  I think the world is changing, albeit slowly, in
this respect.  Fewer and fewer people want their work to be their life.
, Unfortunately, since most jobs have over 200 applicants, the one
person who is willing to sacrifice all for the cvareer gets the job.  As
long as there's a glut of PhD's, I don't know how we can change
things-it's a buyer's market.  or am I too cynical?