Would part-time science help?

JuneKK junekk at aol.com
Wed Nov 29 07:57:28 EST 1995

I think its a good point to underline (and one easy to overlook) that many
women AND men are often in the same predicament of raising children,
particularly when  both would LIKE to participate.  I think it is often
thought that men "have it easy", when they have a "stay-at-home" wife who
takes care of the children.  But what if the men want to take an active
role?  I think that is also less favorably looked upon by employers.

Having said that, I have to agree however,  that women face the unique
dilemma of finding time to actually have a baby, particularly when faced
with 1) graduate school (lots of coursework and dissertation studies!)
2) post-doctoral studies (lots of work and pressure to publish, to find a
job, to find funding, etc!), 3) asst professor level (tenure-track,
particularly has the pressure of trying to get as much research done in
this interval to "validate" the eventual tenured position).

Women principle investigators MAY  be more receptive to having their
graduate student/post-doc, etc to taking time out to have a kid, but they
are also under the same pressures as everyone else:  publish or perish -
to get  funding, to advance in one's career.  Having a full-time person,
is likely to be more productive.  As I am sure we ALL know, it is really
tough these days to get funding at ANY level, as well as a tenured-track
academic positions (at least in the biomedical fields).  So what's the
answer or the compromise?

June Kume-Kick, Ph.D.