<None>

faerber at ubaclu.unibas.ch faerber at ubaclu.unibas.ch
Thu Nov 30 16:11:20 EST 1995

In article <31749D46F19 at bio.tamu.edu>, JFRUGOLI at BIO.TAMU.EDU ("Julia Frugoli") writes:
> you might want to look at the work of David Ledbetter (NIH-Genome
> Research).  I think there's at least one of his articles in Nature
> Genetics.  It turns out humans are imprinted as well as mice-you must
> inherit one copy of certain genes from your mother and the other from
> your father, or things go very wrong (severe mental redardation, etc).
> Therefore, parthanogenesis, at least with a healthy outcome, is not
> possible in humans.
> Julia Frugoli
> Dartmouth College

I wouldn't be so sure about that. If I remember well, it was an article
in "Spektrum der Wissenschaft" (the German issue of "Scientific American"
about the following experiment - one of the articles you remember for
your whole life, especially when you're a woman:

The DNA of mice sperms (x + y) was microinjected into denucleated mice
eggs, and 178 of this artificial zygotes were planted into the uteri of
hormonally stimulated mice. In two cases the experiment was "succesful",
that means, two mice gave birth to a pure male bread.

And, by the way, if things go very wrong, can't this be induced by
technique??!!

And, by the way, isn't parthenogenesis a kind of "self-budding" and
has nothing to do with egg fusion?

Thanks for patience and attention

Pit