Would part-time science help?

Janet Rosen NNFQ99A at prodigy.com
Thu Nov 30 13:58:04 EST 1995

What a timely and important topic!!!!  I quit academic research after
having my second child.  I spent 9 years completing my Ph.D. "part-time"
so my first child would know my name.  All my colleagues were very
supportive at that time, however following graduation when we were
discussing grant proposals and my future salary support, what a frigid
reaction I got when I suggested continuing "part-time" on a permanent
basis now that I had my Ph.D.  It was clear that to be a serious
"contender" I had to commit the 60 plus hours a week that was expected to
receive the necessary support for academic success.  That's when I left.
Since then I have spent my time teaching at local colleges while my kids
are in school, since I have found that as they get older it becomes even
more important for a parent to be there to get them off in the morning
and welcome them home after school.  I do miss research terribly however
and would love a 25 hour a week job (9:30 to 2:30).  Why  this should be
so hard to do, I have no idea, however, I have not yet found the facility
willing to make the move to accomodate parents committed to being home
with their kids!!!

Janet