<None>

Julia Frugoli JFRUGOLI at BIO.TAMU.EDU
Thu Nov 30 10:48:58 EST 1995

>To:            womenbio at net.bio.net
>From:          faerber at ubaclu.unibas.ch
>Subject:       <None>
>Date:          30 Nov 95 16:11:20 MET
>
>In article <31749D46F19 at bio.tamu.edu>, JFRUGOLI at BIO.TAMU.EDU ("Julia
>Frugoli")
>writes:
>> you might want to look at the work of David Ledbetter (NIH-Genome
>> Research).  I think there's at least one of his articles in Nature
>> Genetics.  It turns out humans are imprinted as well as mice-you must
>> inherit one copy of certain genes from your mother and the other from
>> your father, or things go very wrong (severe mental redardation,
>etc).
>> Therefore, parthanogenesis, at least with a healthy outcome, is not
>> possible in humans.
>> Julia Frugoli
>> Dartmouth College
>
>I wouldn't be so sure about that. If I remember well, it was an article
>in "Spektrum der Wissenschaft" (the German issue of "Scientific
>American"
>about the following experiment - one of the articles you remember for
>your whole life, especially when you're a woman:
>
>The DNA of mice sperms (x + y) was microinjected into denucleated mice
>eggs, and 178 of this artificial zygotes were planted into the uteri of
>hormonally stimulated mice. In two cases the experiment was
>"succesful",
>that means, two mice gave birth to a pure male bread.
>
>And, by the way, if things go very wrong, can't this be induced by
>technique??!!
>
>And, by the way, isn't parthenogenesis a kind of "self-budding" and
>has nothing to do with egg fusion?
>
>Thanks for patience and attention
>
>Pit

I base my "mice parthogenesis is impossible" on the information reported
in "Genetic Analysis of Animal Development" 2nd edition by Adam Wilkins
(1993) p 190.  The analysis is based on the work of Surani, et al in
1986  I assume therefore that the above account has been discounted.
Since they use the term parthanogenesis for nuclear translpant
experiments, I assume this is the correct term.

I base my reporting of Dr. Ledbetter's results on a recent seminar he
gave at Texas A&M.

If I am way off base, I'd welcome input, but the above is why I'm "so
sure about that".
Julia Frugoli
Dartmouth College

visiting grad student at