concerned grad

4700gbera at umbsky.cc.umb.edu 4700gbera at umbsky.cc.umb.edu
Thu Oct 5 08:39:56 EST 1995

In article <mrtour-2809951646210001 at mac-97.k-g2.ski.mskcc.org>, mrtour at stud.med.cornell.edu (michelle or doug) writes:
>Hello
>
>I'm a 4th year grad student in Immunology and i'm getting rather concerned
>about my grad school career...
>
>essentially i cannot tell whether i am progressing or not in my work...

>my problem seems to come in the small details of experimentation
>(maybe)...i often have a control missing (but i never repeat such
>mistakes)...
>
>or the problem may lie in the fact that i don't have one all-encompassing
>project...at the moment i am working on 2 projects, one peripherally and
>one which i am the sole person....neither are working particularly
>well....and i am not entirely convinced that my technique is the only
>problem.

Michelle,

Sounds like you are hitting that midway slump...when you can't see the end
and you feel like you are never going to finish. Although, sometimes I still
feel like that, and I only have a few more months to go...

I do think it's hard to work on more than one project. I found out it was
best for me to work on one part of my work exclusively for several weeks,
and then if I had to write or analyze data, to do that until it was finished.
I find it very difficult to switch my focus back and forth.

I think it's also hard when your experiments aren't working. Have you  voiced
your frustration to your advisor? Maybe he/she has some encouraging words. In
my experience, I found that I would have periods of time where I felt  like I
was going backwards. (Sort of like "If I stayed home today I would have been
less behind") But then when things are working, it can go very quickly. It can
take months to get something to work right, and then just a few  weeks to
finish it up.

Having a six year limit for housing must be tough. It's great if you can get
through in six years, but not everybody can. I don't think as grad students we
need any extra pressure to get done.

Anyway, I don't think luck has a whole lot to do with it. Hard work, being
observant, thinking things through, and then being good to yourself and taking
a break will get you through. So hang in there, it can be done!

I hope this helps, at least a little-

Take care-

Gina