I want to be a professor. Am I crazy?

Janet Rosen NNFQ99A at prodigy.com
Fri Oct 13 17:48:28 EST 1995

Have you considered if you might be happy teaching as an adjunct (part-
time) faculty member?  I have a Ph.D. in Pathology, and 2 kids (I had
them both during my graduate school days, it took me 9!! years to get
through, minus maternity leaves!).  After leaving basic research I have
found much satisfaction teaching part-time.  It allows me the flexibility
I need for my family and provides me with the opportunity to use my
knowledge in a way I truly enjoy.  I have found that, in this day and age,
 adjunct positions abound.  You will probably have to get some experience
in community college ( a truly rewarding experience in itself if you
really like teaching), but with some college teaching on your CV, adjunct
jobs are not too hard to come by.
     A major down side is the salary is pitifully low for all of the time
and effort you spent completing your studies.  In addition, no benefits
or job security are offered.  The tradeoff is a flexible schedule
allowing you to do what you love.  If you're lucky, an adjunt position
can become permanent if such an opening occurs at your institution (I was
recently offered such a position).  Good Luck!!

Janet L. Rosen, Ph.D.