Getting girls interested in computers, science, and the Internet

Maryann Z. Whitley frosch at dsg.harvard.edu
Tue Oct 17 22:28:02 EST 1995

Donna,

I don't have a lot of experience with the internet but I just recently
became involved in a national program designed by the Boston Museum of
Science.  They match adult scientists with several groups, or a class,
of kids from grades 4 through 9.  Then they give the kids a "packet" of
experiments that investigate a range of scientific principles in action
in real life.  The current packet is called Science of Sports and looks
at center of mass, inertia, etc. The kids work through the excercises
and send their data to their mentor scientist.  To conclude a long
story, 9 out of 12 of my kids are girls. This is a great program for
parents/teachers to suggest if they are looking to get their kids
involved in science.  Talk to Melissa Cotter, 1-800-729-3300, at the
Museum of Science if you want more information.  I'm having alot of fun
with this.

MZW