GREs

Laura Hyatt lhyatt at mail.sas.upenn.edu
Wed Oct 18 08:50:45 EST 1995

I'm wondering if anyone else has problems with academia's slavish
devotion to GRE scores, either.  I'm not speaking as someone who bites
the dust when it comes to standardized exams, but I am a little
perturbed when the admissions committee in my program writes people
off on the basis of such exam results.  Certainly one would expect
graduate students to have a well-rounded background in the subject
area of interest, but don't course grades reflect this just as well
(possibly better, especially in conjunction with consideration of the
institution the grades come from).  I, personally resolve to look
beyond numbers if I'm ever on an admissions committe myself.

My $0.02,

Laura