GREs

jcoleman at msvax.mssm.edu jcoleman at msvax.mssm.edu
Sun Oct 22 12:40:38 EST 1995

In article <199510181733.KAA01078 at bullwinkle.ucdavis.edu>, eoshuster at UCDAVIS.EDU (Beth Shuster) writes:
>On 10/18, Laura Hyatt wrote:
>
>snip.
>>...I am a little
>>perturbed when the admissions committee in my program writes people
>>off on the basis of such exam results.
>snip
>>I, personally resolve to look
>>beyond numbers if I'm ever on an admissions committe myself.
>
>  I agree with these sentiments, but only up to a certain point.  While GRE
>scores are NOT the only, or even the most certain, predictors of success in
>graduate school, the combination of GRE score and GPA can allow a certain
>level of triage on a large stack of applications.
>
>  I can attest to the fact that there aren't enough hours in the day to
>carefully read every single file.  I would prefer to have the time to spend
>carefully examining the files of students who meet certain minimum
>standards.  Usually, the top candidates are obvious to everyone, as are the
>poorest.  The latter are nearly uniformally categorized by a combination of
>poor GREs AND poor GPA.  The murky middle ground is where the tough
>decisions need to be made.  I'd rather spend my time on those.
>
>my $0.02
>
>Beth
>

>Beth Shuster
>Univ. of California, Davis
>eoshuster at ucdavis.edu

I too have a problem with these GPA cut offs...mainy because it doesn't allow
people to make mitakes in college and correct them. I started out in college as
a chemical engineering major which was, to say the least, A BIG MISTAKE.
Engineering GPA are usually lower on average than other college major, I had
about a 2.5 to 2.7 which I thought was horrible but was considered in good
standing anyway....I wasn't one of the excellent engineering jocks but I was
considered average. I tried hard for two years to please my parents and finally
decided this wasn't my thing, so I switched to psychology major with electives
in biology and neurobiology....GPA switched to a 3.7 to 4.0....leaving me
overall with a 3.3....beneath many schools' automatic cutoffs, even though I
was apply to neurobiology/medical programs...which didn't bother to notice I
changed majors after sophomore year.....other friends who stayed one major and
would take difficult course because they didn't want to bring down their GPA
got in to the same programs.  ---- is there a problem, you bet ya.

Jen